Uniforms & Clothing
Rowing clothing must be form fitting so that it doesn’t get caught in the moving wheels under the seat, or snagged on an oar in motion. Athletes also get wet from splashing oars and wet boats, so clothing should NOT be cotton. Cotton stays wet longer than synthetic material and therefore is colder. Practice is mostly outdoors so athletes need to be warm even when wet.
Should any uniform purchase present significant financial hardship for any family, please contact the team’s Uniform Committee to discuss loaner options.
Required Racing Uniforms
– tank top (loaned to athletes)
– black spandex trousers (available for purchase)
– unisuit (available for purchase)
All racing uniforms are only worn during races and not during practice, guaranteeing multi-year durability. Returning athletes are strongly encouraged to purchase their own racing unisuits (called a “uni”). An online store is opened at the beginning of each season for returning athletes to buy new uniforms.
All athletes are strongly encouraged to purchase optional gear to help keep them comfortable on and off the water. All novice athletes in their first season only have the option to be loaned a team windbreaker and long sleeve if they do not purchase their own. However, black spandex trousers are the responsibility of the rower.
– Socks should be wool or synthetic in the cold seasons. Rowers strap into shoes that are shared in the boat so socks are always necessary.
– Warm hats are important in cold weather and baseball caps and sun glasses help keep the sun off in warm weather.
– Running shoes should be worn in the event of any dryland workouts.
Winter running and biking clothing is also often appropriate for cold weather rowing. Some local places to purchase warm lycra or spandex clothing locally are:
- Dicks Sporting Goods
- New Balance Outlet
- Local Bike shops
- Target in Cambridge, Somerville or Watertown
- REI in Boston or Reading
- At the Head of the Charles finish line expedition tent, rowing vendors sell very reasonably priced rowing clothing.
Coach Favorites for cold weather
- splash jackets
- long tops